Sunday, January 8, 2012

Grant me the Serenity…

“God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.”
  
This is what my life is now, full of things I cannot change, and littered with things I can.

The journey now is figuring out which is which.

I guess I should start with a little background. And by little, I mean a minute amount as I plan to tell you more about myself as this blog goes on. I’m 27 years old, married, proud “mom” of four lovable dogs, and have currently found myself unemployed. I never would have imagined five and a half years ago, when crossing the stage getting my diploma, I would end up one of the thousands of people in America looking for work.

You should also know I am a worrier. I’m constantly worried about everything, mostly money. Who doesn’t though? That doesn’t make me special. I think it makes me normal. The thing is, before being laid off, I didn’t really have a reason to be so worried. It took losing my job to make me realize what real worry is.

How long will this last?
Will I get hired again?
Will I have to settle for something I might not enjoy?
Will we make it until I’m employed again?

These are questions that rattle around in my brain. They bounce off one another and roll around in the abyss of the unknown. I don’t like the unknown, hence the reason for the serenity prayer.

At this point in my life I have to know there are things that are out of my control, but there are things that are within my control. The things I can change are the ones I have to focus on. Change the things that can be changed and let everything else fall where it may.

Stepping out in to the great unknown? More like being pushed without a parachute.

No comments:

Post a Comment